To be the successful job candidate for quality assurance jobs, it helps to have a comprehensive resume, says resume expert Kim Isaacs. This sample resume that she created below for a senior QA tester can give you some ideas. You can also download the experienced QA software tester resume template in Word. And if you need more help, get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service.
Automated Test Systems | Quality Methodologies | QA Team Leadership
- Senior software QA tester with full system development lifecycle experience, including designing, developing and implementing test plans, test cases and test processes fueling swift corrective actions, significant cost savings and fault-free audits.
- Hands-on technology professional accustomed to working in complex, project-based environments. Multifaceted experience in QA software testing, software development and user-acceptance testing.
- Backed by strong credentials including a computer science degree, PMP certification, Six Sigma Green Belt and computer analytics certificate; advanced command of various testing suites, agile methodologies and monitoring tools; and cross-platform skills in Windows, Linux and Unix.
ABC COMPANY — Sometown, FL
Software developer specializing in transportation, airline and defense sector solutions.
Senior Software Quality Assurance Tester, 4/12 to Present
Serve as a key member of software development team as the lead QA tester on development projects for government, DoD and transportation industry clients. Supervise a five-member software QA testing team in developing and implementing quality-assurance and quality-control methodologies to ensure compliance with QA standards, federal regulations and customer specifications. Results:
- Created and executed automated software test plans, cases and scripts to uncover, identify and document software problems and their causes. Led QA testing that:
- Prevented hundreds of thousands of dollars in erroneous charges to Florida Turnpike drivers by identifying software bug in automated toll-collection system.
- Pinpointed previously undiscovered flaw in new DoD missile-detection system prototype, resulting in formal commendation letter from the DoD.
- Identified the root cause of intermittent interoperability glitch in air-traffic control software, leading to a no-fault audit finding.
- Transitioned software development efforts to a test-driven development (TDD) process, which brought QA testing in on the front-end of the development cycle for gains in code quality, software functionality and programmer productivity.
- Conducted formal and informal product design reviews throughout the software development lifecycle to provide input on functional requirements, product designs, schedules and potential issues. Leveraged developer background to communicate effectively with software design team, quickly gaining their respect and becoming a valued, “go-to” team member on challenging test cases.
XYZ GROUP — Sometown, GA
External testing group providing quality-assurance assessment of software, hardware and systems.
Lead QA Tester, Software & Systems Group, 8/08 to 3/12
QA Tester, Software Solutions Group, 8/04 to 8/08
Promoted to serve as lead QA tester, overseeing quality-assurance testing and teams for client software and systems development projects. Performed system, unit, performance, load, regression, stress and data interface testing. Provided client developer teams with detailed reports on quality metrics, identified bugs/flaws and recommended fixes. Results:
- Created company’s first comprehensive database of documented test defects and procedures to enable accurate replication and ensure compliance with standards. Accelerated average QA testing turn-around time by 25% or more, allowing company to accept more testing projects without increasing staff.
- Designed and implemented automated testing tools and programs addressing areas including database impacts, software scenarios, regression testing, negative testing, error/bug retests and usability.
- Documented software defects using bug tracking system and reported defects involving program functionality, output, online screen and content to software developers.
- Delivered thorough QA testing reports that determined product quality and release readiness.
DEF COMPANY— Sometown, GA
Software solutions provider specializing in mobile technologies.
Software Developer, 8/02 to 8/04
Worked on teams developing state-of-the-art software for mobile devices, including the #3 selling GPS solution in the US (2003). Analyzed business requirements, conducted gap analysis, estimated project scope and worked closely with fellow developers to deliver high-quality software solutions using Java, C#, VBScript, SQL and other technologies.
123 COMPANY — Sometown, WA
Nationwide software development company.
User-Acceptance Testing Specialist (contract/part time), 6/00 to 6/02
Assisted with user-acceptance testing and defect tracking for three new software releases. Offered full-time UAT position after graduating from college (respectfully declined to accept software developer job).
XYZ UNIVERSITY — Sometown, FL
Graduate Certificate in Computer Analytics, 2009
ABC UNIVERSITY — Sometown, GA
BS in Computer Science, 2002
PMI-Certified Project Management Professional (PMP), 2010
Six Sigma Green Belt, 2008
HP Quality Center; HPE Unified Functional Testing (UFT); HP SiteScope; HP Unified Functional Testing; HP LoadRunner; Selenium Suite; Agile; SoapUI; SilkTest; Introscope; Dynatrace; Compuware Gomez; Java; C#; VBScript; SQL; .NET; XML
Take this next step in your job search
You spend all those years accumulating software knowledge and developing your expertise, so you deserve to be noticed. When your resume is polished and ready to go, it's time to put it to the test. Need some help finding jobs for an experienced software tester? Become a Monster member and you'll be able up to five versions of your resume, each highlighting a different sought-after skill. Recruiters search Monster every day hoping to fill top jobs with awesome, qualified candidates—just like you.
- SQA Testing & Methodologies
- Test Plans, Cases & Processes
- Functional Requirements
- Scripting & Documentation
- Regression & Negative Testing
- UI & Compatibility Testing
- Data Interface & Migration Testing
- Performance/Load/Stress Testing
- Testing Automation
- Defect/Bug Tracking
- Test Strategies & Coverages
- QA & QC Standards
QA Engineer Cover Letter
Writing a QA (Quality Assurance) engineer cover letter is easy but to write an effective cover letter is something which every professional must learn. With the fast changing times, a cover letter has gained its importance and to know how to prepare a perfect cover letter will only add one more feather to your cap.
A QA engineer is a person who tests the quality and functionality of a product before it is launched into the market for sale. A QA engineer must be highly efficient in testing the products in detail and detect the exact fault in the product. They also decide the approximate life of a product through testing and also the possible faults that may arise in the future. A QA engineer needs to be highly attentive to details with an interest in testing and analyzing complex products from every aspect.
How to write a QA Engineer Cover Letter
A QA engineer cover letter itself is a way to test your competency for this job. It is therefore very important to prepare it in such a way that the recruiter gets to understand how efficient you are for this job. Use a standard format that begins with your introduction followed by the recruiters' introduction. The first paragraph should describe how you came across this job and why you are keen to join the organization you are applying to. The second and third paragraph should be summary of your career, skills and any achievements or recognition. The last paragraph or the conclusion should end the letter with a positive tone.
Read the sample QA engineer cover letter and you will easily understand how to prepare a cover letter for this position.
32, Celestial Housing, Goodwill Square
Date: November 22nd, 2011
13, Industrial Estate
I went through your website and came to know about the requirement of QA engineer in your organization. I am very pleased to know about this position as I have always wanted to work for your organization owing to the reputation it holds.
Currently I am a QA engineer at Porter Industries. This organization manufactures farming equipments and machines. I work with a team of production engineers and test the products on different parameters. If there is any fault in the product, we use all our skills to remove the defect so that it can be launched without much delay. Prior to this job, I worked at Manila Corporation for four years in a similar position albeit with an altogether different product line.
As I hold an experience in farming tools and machineries, I have learned how to test complex machineries and equipments. As your organization specialized in a similar product line, it would not be a tough task for me to adapt according to your organization's requirement.
Please contact me at your convenience for any further information or if you find me qualified enough for an interview. Thanking you with an expectation to receive a positive response.
- Photocopies of credentials
- Recommendation letter
43, Nirvana County, Weston Square
Date: December 13th, 2011
2, 32nd West Street, Downtown
I came across the advertisement in Jobs Flair that states about the requirement of QA engineer in your organization. I find this opportunity as a highly promising one and would like to apply for this position as I feel that my experience and knowledge meets the job criterion.
I have been working with Eon Industries for the past seven years prior to which I worked at Charlotte Industries for four years. Owing to such a wide ranging experience, I am confident that my skills and knowledge will be beneficial for your organization and it will also give me a chance to be a part of a success story.
I possess excellent knowledge of product testing and fault resolution and also the product testing parameters laid by Industrial Association of Los Angeles.
Please contact me if you can schedule an interview or if any further information is required. I look forward for a positive response from your end.
- Photocopies of credentials
- Recommendation letter
Please ensure that the information and language of your QA engineer cover letter is easy to understand for the employer so that he is not forced to read it twice.